Thursday, October 3, 2013

Turn 1 bi-fold door into a set of french doors

Things you will need.....
~bi-fold door (mine is 36 inches) make sure you get the right size for the door frame you are using. 
     ~ bi-fold replacement parts
                1. Top swivel bracket and swivel
                2. Bottom swivel bracket and swivel rod. 
     ~ 2-4 cabinet knobs or pulls
~hammer
~phillips screw driver
~measuring tape

1. Hang the door, swivel side only. Don't hang the track. When you go to attach the top bracket, just secure it to the door frame instead of the track like the directions will tell you to. I choose to hang my door in the middle of the frame. Bi-fold doors are thinner than standard interior doors so you have room on either side. (depth wise)
Measure where you attach the top bracket and make sure the distance from the wall into the door frame is the same. That way you know its square and you won't have a leaning door. 
2. Once the door is hung Remove the hinges. There should be 2 or 4 that look like the picture below. (Some bi-fold doors come with regular hinges). The part of the door that is not attached to the swivel brackets is going to come down. Remove the middle hinge, then the bottom, then top. That way the door wont come crashing down on your head and twist the hinge. you can save the hinges for another project later :)

Top Swivel

Top swivel bracket

Bottom swivel and bracket

3. Attach the replacement parts you bought. When I put the swivels in the door it was kind of hard so I inserted the swivel as far as I could on my own then took a scrap peice of wood, placed it on the head of the swivel (so I don't ruin the swivel with my hammer) and hammered down onto the wood until it was completely inserted. Attach brackets and hang the door. Make sure the placement of the brackets are the same distance inside the door frame as the other side. This way your door will close right and your doors will be square and even. 
4. Attach knobs. Yay your done. The pic below is my bi-fold door turned french doors. It's for my 12 year old sons room. The kids are always running in and out or his room so its nice to have swinging doors. No big loud door slams in our house. 
:) 


I have the track installed because we used it like a bi-fold door for about a month until a light bulb went off inside my head and viola, french doors :)




2 comments:

  1. Wonderful article. Fascinating to read. I love to read such an excellent article. Thanks! It has made my task more and extra easy. Keep rocking.
    oz automation

    ReplyDelete